Nepal heading towards crisis as parties fail to end deadlock
Kathmandu: Nepal appeared to be sinking
deeper into a political turmoil Thursday, amid the failure of the
main parties to end a deadlock over the extension of the term
of the parliament, which expires on Saturday.
There was no progress in talks as we demanded that the
Maoists must lay down their arms before getting our support to
extend the term of the Constituent Assembly that expires on
May 28, main opposition Nepali Congress` leader Ram Sharan
Mahat said, adding the Maoists did not agree to it.
Both the parties put forth their policy and nothing
came out from the meeting, he told PTI after talks involving
Prime Minister Jhala Nath Khanal, Maoist chief Prachanda and
Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala.
Nepali Congress, the second largest party in
parliament has stepped up pressure on the Communist-led
government to quit due to its failure to promulgate a new
constitution ahead of the expiry of the term of the House.
Amid growing fears of a political vacuum and a
constitutional crisis, President Ram Baran Yadav held
consultations with top leaders, including the Prime Minister,
Prachanda and Koirala.
The President asked them to reach a consensus and move
forward the peace process to resolve the current political
statement, sources said.
The Supreme Court has ruled that the Assembly could be
extended only for six months, as against the government`s
decison to ammend the constitution for a one-year extension of
The term of the Assembly should not be extended for
indefinite period, the apex court had cautioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22