Nepal in democratic transition: Former PM Deuba
New Delhi: Nepal`s former prime minister and Sher Bahadur Deuba on Tuesday said his country was in a crucial phase of democratic transition and the government and the parties were working hard to ensure that the Constituent Assembly-cum-Parliamentary Elections were held by this November.
Addressing a gathering at Observer Research Foundation on Tuesday, Deuba, a senior Nepali Congress leader, also sought "India`s support in encouraging the Maoists to adopt peaceful means for politics for now and forever".
According to a release, Deuba said he was confident of Nepali Congress heading the next government in his country and stressed the need to develop "a joint approach" to exploit the huge hydro power potential of Nepal.
He said Nepal has the potential of generating over one lakh megawatt of power.
Noting development of water resources for mutual benefit was a key area of priority for him, he said that working jointly on using water resources would also help in irrigation, flood control and mitigating challenges of climate change.
He said Nepal wants to participate in progress of India and creating "synergy between Nepal`s resources and India`s capital, knowledge and technology" would help achieve goals of economic transformation for both the countries.
Inviting Indian private sector to invest in Nepal, Deuba said his country would work towards improving the investment scenario after the elections, learning from India`s economic growth over the last two decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow