Nepal industry bigwigs accuse parties of force
Kathmandu: As the Maoists prepare to
intensify their anti-government agitation, Nepalese industry
bigwigs have alleged that the party is forcing businessmen to
fill its coffers, a charge denied by the party.
The Prachanda-led Maoists have said they would intensify
street protests to topple the government if it refused to heed
its demands by May 1.
Surendra Malakar, president of Nepal Chamber of Commerce
claimed businessmen and industrialists have been threatened
by a "forcible donation drive" launched by the Maoists.
"We were ready to give donation as per our capacity, but
we are opposed to forceful donation drive," he told.
The Maoists are said to have asked money from Rs 100,000
to five million per businessman, a source said.
B L Mittal, a reputed businessman of Kathmandu, said the
donation drive has become a fresh nightmare for businessmen
who have already received threats from different armed groups.
The CPN-Maoists have however denied that they were
forcing anyone to donate money to their party.
Officials of the Golcha Group of Organisations said their
offices were allegedly vandalised yesterday after they
refused to pay donation asked by the Maoists.
"They have demanded Rs 5 million from us," said Diwakar
Golchha, a renowned industrialist and also a member of the
Security was also tightened for various businessmen after
they complained of threats from Maoist cadres.
President of Federation of Nepalese Chamber of Commerce
and Industries (FNCCI) Kush Kumar Joshi said the business
community is terrorised.
The Maoists, who have allegedly taken over some private
properties to temporarily house thousands of their cadres who
have travelled from all over the country to take part in the
mass agitation, have also reportedly asked the business
community to arrange.
The Maoists have said they would launch an indefinite
strike from May 2 if the government does not resign by May 1,
when the party was planning a massive rally in the capital.
Meanwhile, security has been stepped up in Kathmandu in
the wake of the announcement of intensified agitation by the
Home Ministry has changed the police chief of Kathmandu
and more policemen have been deployed in key areas ahead of
the Maoist agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi