Nepal landslide toll climbs to 34
Rescuers on Monday discovered 25 more bodies from the site of a massive landslide in northeast Nepal that is feared to have killed at least 160 people.
Kathmandu: Rescuers on Monday discovered 25 more bodies from the site of a massive landslide in northeast Nepal that is feared to have killed at least 160 people.
With the recovery of 25 more bodies, the death toll has now risen to 34, the Home Ministry said on Monday.
Twenty-five more bodies have been recovered two days after a massive landslide that blocked the Sunkoshi River at Mankha Jure and Ramche villages in Sindhupalchok, officials said.
More than 150 people are still missing from the three villages after the landslide.
Altogether 50 houses were buried, 27 dismantled and 30 partially damaged due to the landslide, said Laxmi Prasad Dhakal, Home Ministry spokesperson.
The water level has now decreased to some extent and out of 3 km road of the Araniko Highway which was submerged 60 metre has so far been cleared, he added.
An entire 500 metre landmass in upper Itani area of Ramche village had collapsed down on Saturday morning blocking the Sunkosi river at Jure in the district for over 12 hours until.
The Nepalese Army had carried out low-intensity blasts to remove the landslide debris from the river to free the huge quantity of water accumulated in the newly formed lake, resulting in rise of water level of Kosi River in Bihar.
Excavators and bulldozers have been employed to carry out search in the area.