Nepal: Man sold girls in India, jailed for 170 yrs
Kathmandu: In an unprecedented case, a 37-year-old man in Nepal was sentenced to 170 years in jail for trafficking teenage girls to Indian brothels.
The Sidhupalchowk District Court yesterday sentenced Bajir Singh Tamang of Shikharpur village to 170 years in jail after convicting him of selling six teenage girls to Indian brothels.
This is the severest jail term ever served to someone in country`s judicial history.
The victims who fled the brothels and returned home had filed separate cases against Tamang on different occasions.
The accused trafficked the victims, aged between 14-17 at the time of the crime, to India in 2008 and 2009 and sold them for commercial sex.
They were all students at local schools when they fell into the clutches of the sex trafficking racket led by Tamang.
The court also jailed two of his accomplices for 16 and 12 and a half years respectively.
The court slapped a fine of Rs 13 lakh on Tamang and directed him to provide Rs 1.5 lakh each as compensation to all the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!