Nepal Maoist accused of 2004 murder arrested
Kathmandu: A Maoist activist in Nepal, accused of murdering a 16-year-old schoolboy in 2004, was on Sunday sent to judicial custody after the victim`s parents ended their 47-day fast-unto-death to demand justice for their son.
The accused, identified as Ram Prasad Adhikari, was remanded to judicial custody for 10 days after he was produced at Chitwan District Court.
Police are also looking for 10 other accused in the case.
Ram Prasad was arrested on Friday for the murder of Krishna Prasad Adhikari in 2004.
Krishna`s agitating parents, Nanda Prasad and Ganga Maya Adhikari of Gorkha district, who were on a fast-unto-death since the last 47 days demanding action against Maoist cadres involved in the murder of their son, finally ended their fast late last night.
They did so after being assured of action against all those involved in the murder of their son, along with compensation, rehabilitation and security to the family.
Maoist leaders, including UCPN-Maoist chief Prachanda, had warned the government against taking any action against their cadres, saying that war-time crimes could not be put on trial.
The Nepalese Civil War fought between government forces and Maoist fighters lasted from 1996 until 2006, killing thousands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price