Nepal Maoist chief criticised for using chopper to campaign
Kathmandu: Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala has criticised Maoist chief Prachanda for using extravagant means like helicopters to campaign for the November 19 Constituent Assembly polls.
"They (the Maoists) are canvassing in helicopters as they have sufficient resources, but we don`t have enough financial resources for such campaign," Koirala said in an interview to the state-run daily Gorkhapatra.
"We will go to the voters on foot or using motorbike and motor car," he said.
Last week, Nepal`s Election Commission directed UCPN-Maoist chief Prachanda to take its permission before using helicopter for his election campaign.
Prachanda recently attended election-related programmes in Dolakha and Kavre districts using a helicopter without taking approval from the poll panel.
Chief Election Commissioner Nil Kantha Upreti has urged the political parties not to try to outdo each other through physical resources. He also asked the political parties to sincerely follow the code of conduct to ensure free and fair polls.
With just one week remaining before the historic polls, top leaders of major political parties are busy to woo voters across the country.
Addressing an election rally in Mahottari district of southern Nepal, former Prime Minister Prachanda said, "Unified CPN-Maoist is the only party that can build the nation and draft the Constitution."
This time the Maoists have focused on Terai, the southern plains of Nepal with Prachanda himself contesting from Siraha district, along with Kathmandu 10 constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!