Nepal Maoist chief criticised for using chopper to campaign
Kathmandu: Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala has criticised Maoist chief Prachanda for using extravagant means like helicopters to campaign for the November 19 Constituent Assembly polls.
"They (the Maoists) are canvassing in helicopters as they have sufficient resources, but we don`t have enough financial resources for such campaign," Koirala said in an interview to the state-run daily Gorkhapatra.
"We will go to the voters on foot or using motorbike and motor car," he said.
Last week, Nepal`s Election Commission directed UCPN-Maoist chief Prachanda to take its permission before using helicopter for his election campaign.
Prachanda recently attended election-related programmes in Dolakha and Kavre districts using a helicopter without taking approval from the poll panel.
Chief Election Commissioner Nil Kantha Upreti has urged the political parties not to try to outdo each other through physical resources. He also asked the political parties to sincerely follow the code of conduct to ensure free and fair polls.
With just one week remaining before the historic polls, top leaders of major political parties are busy to woo voters across the country.
Addressing an election rally in Mahottari district of southern Nepal, former Prime Minister Prachanda said, "Unified CPN-Maoist is the only party that can build the nation and draft the Constitution."
This time the Maoists have focused on Terai, the southern plains of Nepal with Prachanda himself contesting from Siraha district, along with Kathmandu 10 constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes