Nepal Maoist supporters shutdown schools
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Maoist supporters on Sunday
shutdown thousands of schools in the country in a bid to step
up pressure on the government to convert adhoc posts into
permanent and appoint more teachers.
The general strike enforced by the Maoist-affiliated
Nepal Republican Teachers` Union impacted over one million
students in the country.
Teachers affiliated to Maoist aligned Nepal Republican
Educational Forum (NREF), Nepal Teachers Union (NTU) and Nepal
Teachers Association (NTA) took to the streets after they
failed last week to reach an agreement with the government on
major issues, including converting adhoc posts into permanent
and creating new posts for staff in schools.
Education Minister and senior Maoist leader Dinanath
Sharma has appealed to the agitating teachers not to obstruct
the functioning of the educational institutions and underlined
the need to continue talks to sorted out the differences.
However, Baburam Adhikari, the Chairman of Nepal National
Teachers Association, has threatened to halt studies in
private and community schools and disrupt the upcoming
examinations if the government headed by the Maoist party
failed to agree to their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city