Nepal Maoists begin talks to revamp party
Kathmandu: The Prachanda-led Unified Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (UCPN-M) has begun internal deliberations for re-building the party after its humiliating performance in the recently held Constituent Assembly elections, party leaders said Friday.
The party is holding a politburo meeting to chalk out the future political course and prepare a detailed action plan about revamping the weak organisation that led to the party`s defeat, Xinhua reported.
Party leaders have suggested the leadership to start massive campaign from grass-root level to strengthen the party`s organisational structure.
In the meeting, former prime minister and senior party leader Baburam Bhattarai has proposed to set up new organisational structure for rebuilding the party.
"We are discussing a detail plan for strengthening the party organisation and formulating a new policy," Maoist`s spokesperson Agni Sapkota said.
The Maoist party became Nepal`s largest party in 2008 with a landslide victory in the Constituent Assembly elections.
But in the Nov 19 elections, the party performed dismally, scoring a distant third after the Nepali Congress and the Communist Party of Nepal-Unified Marxist Leninist (CPN-UML).
Party leaders said their communist ideals are fast eroding and there is a need to revive the party`s original agenda and structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note