Nepal Maoists call for party unity
Kathmandu: Nepal`s ruling Maoist party today
underlined the need for unity in the organisation, amid
deepening differences as the former rebels marked 17th
anniversary of the "peoples` war" which began in 1996.
Top leaders of the UCPN-Maoist, including the party
supremo Prachanda and senior Vice chairman Mohan Vaidya Kiran
addressed a grand rally at Open Theatre in the heart of the
The Maoists, who waged a decade-long insurgency, joined
mainstream politics after a 2006 peace deal with the interim
government led by G P Koirala.
The Maoists, who took up arms on February 13, 1996 to
topple the monarchy, were instrumental in declaring Nepal a
republic after centuries of monarchy in 2008.
Amid deepening differences in the ultra-left
organisation, chairman Prachanda "ruled out the possibility of
split in the Maoist party".
Terming "the dispute in the party as natural process", he
underlined that "it was essential to maintain cohesion within
He credited the Maoist party for "progress made in the
peace process," as he claimed that it has "substantially moved
However, Vaidya, a hardline leader who has openly accused
the party leadership of moving away from its core ideology,
expressed dissatisfaction over the state of affairs in the
Even as he claimed "the party has not been able to
achieve its goal despite leading the coalition government," he
"called for party unity".
Underlining the need for greater interaction in the
party, he said "debate and discussion are common in a
Prachanda and general secretary Ram Bahadur Thapa ‘Badal’ said in a message on the occasion that the "Nepalese
revolution is heading towards the decisive turning point of
great possibilities and serious challenges".
"We revise our strong resolution and firm commitment to
move forward in the direction of ceaseless revolution to make
the great dreams of martyrs come true," they said in a
More than 16,000 people were killed and thousands others
were displaced during the decade-long insurgency.
The Maoists emerged as the single largest party following
the landmark Constituent Assembly elections in 2008.
The Assembly, which functions as the interim parliament,
was a key demand of the Maoists, but it has failed to conclude
the peace process and draft a new constitution for the
country, the twin tasks for which the House was set up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks