Nepal Maoists delay key meeting amid Prachanda`s China visit
Kathmandu: The Maoists in Nepal on Sunday
delayed a key party meeting to chalk out a strategy amid a
political crisis that has stalled the formation of new
government in the country.
The plenum of the Unified CPN (Maoist) has been
postponed to November 14 after it was earlier decided to hold
it on October 29 in Gorkha district.
The powerful central committee meeting at the party’s
office in the capital decided to hold the plenum in Plungtar
of Gorkha district on November 14.
It was delayed as Maoists supremo Prachanda is
scheduled to visit China in October end. Moreover, the date
coincided with Vijaya Dashami and Deepawali, popular festivals
when top leadership visit their constituencies outside the
Earlier, the date was moved from October 22 in Chitwan
district to October 29 in Gorkha district as Chitawan was
struggling to cope with the spread of dengue.
The key meeting today also discussed the political
crisis in the country since the June 30 resignation of Prime
Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal, that has stalled Nepal`s 2006
peace process and delayed the annual budget.
Nepalese lawmakers earlier this week failed for the
eleventh time in a row to elect a new prime minister as the
sole candidate R C Poudyal of the Nepali Congress was unable
to garner a simple majority in Parliament, prolonging
the political uncertainty in the country.
Nepalese parties have been unable to elect a new
leader despite a series of votes since June 30, when Nepal
stood down under intense pressure from the Maoists.
More than three months after the 22-party coalition
led by Nepal collapsed, 11 rounds of polls have so far failed
to elect a new prime minister.
Poudyal is the only candidate in the fray following
the withdrawal of Prachanda after a deal with the CPN-UML on
September 17 in a bid to facilitate the formation of a
national consensus government.
55-year-old former prime minister failed to get
majority support in Parliament seven times in a row, forcing
him to end his bid for the top post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security