Nepal Maoists hand over guerrilla Army to govt
Kathmandu: Five years after they signed a peace accord and ended their decade-old armed insurrection, Nepal`s Maoist party Saturday began the process of formally handing over their guerrilla Army to the control of the government, marking a new phase in peace negotiations in the troubled Himalayan nation.
In the presence of ministers, the chiefs of the Nepal Army and state security agencies as well as diplomats and UN representatives, Maoist chief Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda signed a joint agreement with Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal at the camp of the People`s Liberation Army in Shaktikhor in southern Chitwan district, agreeing that from Saturday, the PLA came under the control of a special committee formed for the integration and rehabilitation of the guerrilla Army.
There are nearly 20,000 PLA combatants living in 28 camps nationwide. Till last week, they were under the supervision of the UN`s political agency.
However, with the UN Mission in Nepal exiting Jan 15 midnight, the supervision was taken over by the special committee that is headed by the prime minister.
Nepal reminded the PLA that those who opt to join the state security agencies would no longer have any political affiliation.
The Maoist leadership said it was entering the new phase with bias towards none and only with the thought of serving the people in their hearts.
The PLA flag - two AK-47s crossed over Mt. Everest with a red star shining high - was replaced by the national flag of Nepal in the cantonment to symbolise the transfer of control of the PLA from the Maoist party to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon