Nepal Maoists `not involved` in Tamang`s killing
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Maoist party has dismissed as "hypothetical" and "baseless" media reports about its involvement in the killing of Gorkha leader Madan Tamang in Darjeeling in West Bengal.
"We strongly denounce such an ill-intentioned, hypothetical and baseless charges and news reports," CPN (Maoists) spokesperson Dina Nath Sharma said in a statement.
He said the party was shocked by the murder of Tamang, a good friend of Nepal, who was "leading a just movement against national oppression and for national identity."
Sharma was reacting to media reports which said Bimal Gurung, chairperson of the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha, had accused the government of West Bengal for murdering Tamang, hiring Nepalese Maoists.
Tamang was on Friday stabbed to death by unidentified assailants in Darjeeling town.
Sharma also asked the "government concerned to guarantee the safety and rights of Nepali-speaking Indian nationals" in the wake of the killing of Nepali origin people in Meghalaya by some ethnic groups.
"We have repeatedly spoken against the oppression of Nepalese speaking people living in the North-Eastern region of India and for their linguistic and national rights," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack