Nepal Maoists not sincere in abiding peace deals
Kathmandu: Nepal`s main opposition party
on Monday accused the ruling Maoists of not being sincere in
implementing past deals to push forward the 2006 peace process
which has been stalled due to political deadlock.
Prakash Man Singh, the General Secretary of the Nepali
Congress, asked the UCPN-Maoist to be honest in implementing
all past agreements and understandings reached in connection
with the peace process.
The Maoists are not showing sincerity in implementing
the 7-point agreement reached among the major political
parties four months ago, he said.
The agreement includes expediting the peace process,
returning the property seized by the former rebels during the
decade-long insurgency and dismantling the Young Communist
League (YCL), the paramilitary youth wing of the Maoists.
He blamed the Maoists for unnecessary delays in the peace
process and the constitution drafting process.
Singh warned that the Nepali Congress could step up
efforts for an alternative to the Bhattarai-led government if
the coalition did not make any progress in concluding the
His attack on the ruling party comes as Nepalese Prime
Minister Baburam Bhattarai on Sunday voiced confidence that
the country`s new Constitution will be promulgated within the
stipulated deadline of May 27.
Bhattarai had claimed that his UCPN-Maoist government has
completed most of the tasks related to the peace process.
Integration of the Maoist combatants is a key element
of the ongoing peace process. The major political parties
including the UCPN-Maoist and Nepali Congress had inked a deal
few months back to integrate 6,500 former Maoist combatants
into Nepal Army as part of the peace process.
Nepal`s peace process has been stalled due to crucial
disagreement among the parties over key issues of federal
structure and the form of government in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof