Nepal Maoists rake up new dispute over national flag
Kathmandu: The Nepal Maoists have demanded a new flag for the country after being instrumental in stalling of the landmark peace process over the integration of its guerrilla force with the national Army.
A fresh dispute has erupted over the national flag between the UCPN (Maoist), the main Opposition party in the 601 member Constituent Assembly, and the ruling 22-party coalition.
The former rebels have been calling for a new national flag that should contain stars equal in numbers to the number of federal units after the restructuring of the state. The row over the flag surfaced at the panel formed by the Assembly, which acts as the country`s Parliament, Kantipur online reported today.
The Maoists have been carrying out a campaign of protests for enforcement of "civilian supremacy" since Prachanda suddenly resigned as Prime Minister on May 4 after President Ram Baran Yadav reinstated Gen Rukmangad Katawal.
The political standoff has put new stresses on Nepal`s reconciliation efforts after the end of the decade-long insurgency in 2006, with fears that the stalled peace process may be derailed if the constitutional crisis is not ended soon.
Now the UCPN (Maoist), the Rastriya Janamorcha, and the Dalit Janajati Party have demanded that the flag should be changed after the state restructuring, the report said.
However, the Nepali Congress, the CPN-UML, and the Nepal Majdoor Kishan Party have opposed the demand, asserting that it is not necessary to change the flag which provides national identity to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp