Nepal MP who accused Indian embassy staff of threatening quits
Kathmandu: Amid deadlock in Nepal over
electing a new Prime Minister, a Maoist MP, who nearly sparked
a diplomatic row by accusing an Indian embassy official of
threatening him, has resigned from his seat in Parliament, in
what could hurt Prachanda`s bid to return to power.
"I cannot stick on as a lawmaker as a political case has
been brought up against me" by Terai Madhes Democratic Party,
Ram Kumar Sharma, a central member of CPN-Maoist, said.
Sharma, who belongs to the southern Terai plains, had
alleged earlier this month that an Indian embassy staffer had
threatened him over phone for supporting Maoist chief
Prachanda during the Prime Ministerial run-offs in Parliament.
However, the Indian embassy here had denied his charges.
Sharma, who had joined Maoists a year ago after quitting
the Terai Madhes Democratic Party, was elected from Mahottari
Constituency No. 4.
His resignation came yesterday, a day after Terai Madhes
Democratic Party sent a letter to the Speaker of the
Parliament, Subhas Nemwang, notifying him about its
disciplinary action against Sharma for switching loyalty.
With Sharma quitting as MP, the Maoists have now lost two
lawmakers in the 601-member Constituent Assembly this week
ahead of the August 23 run-off poll for the post of Prime
Ram Kumari Yadav, a Maoist lawmaker elected from Dhanusha
constituency No. 6, had died of burn injuries a couple of days
After losing two MPs, the Maoists now have 235 seats in
the Constituent Assembly, though they are still the largest
Prachanda needs 301 votes in Parliament to be re-elected
as Prime Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past