Nepal must end culture of impunity for rights violators: UN
Kathmandu: The UN rights watchdog on Monday
asked the Nepal government to end the culture of impunity and
punish those involved in human rights violations both during
and after the decade-long civil war in the country.
Richard Bennett, Representative of the United Nations
High Commissioner for Human Rights in Nepal, said rights
violators should be booked to end the culture of impunity.
Bennett said impunity exists in the country despite
the signing of the landmark 2006 Comprehensive Peace Agreement
(CPA) and that human rights have been disrespected before and
after the Maoists` insurgency.
Earlier, the UN had called for setting up of a
commission to bring to justice all those involved in rights
violations during the insurgency led by the Maoists from 1996
Both the Maoists guerrillas and the Nepal Army were
accused of forced disappearance and violating human rights.
Bennett also asked the civil society to put their
weight behind human rights issues. "I appeal to the civil
society to play an important role in addressing the issue of
human rights in the new constitution," he was quoted as saying
by the Kantipur online in the tourist town of Pokhara.
Rights groups earlier have expressed concern over the
government`s failure to prosecute people responsible for
extra-judicial killings and tortures committed during the
country`s civil war.
"To date, not a single perpetrator has been brought to
justice for grave human rights violations before a civilian
court," US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) and Nepal-based
Advocacy Forum (AF) said in a report released in October.
- REVEALED: Outdoing Virat Kohli makes AB de Villiers 'proud' - Here's why!
- Birthday special: Anushka Sharma is the selfie queen of Bollywood! Here's a proof
- UNBELIEVABLE! CEO of Baba Ramdev's Patanjali Ayurved works for 15 hours/day but takes no salary!
- Technology has opened up our cinema to everybody: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style