Nepal: NC leaders meet Prez over political crisis
Kathmandu: The top brass of Nepali Congress on Saturday called on President Ram Baran Yadav at the Rashtrapati Bhavan and discussed the ongoing political crisis, including promulgation of a new constitution before the May 27 deadline.
According to the Nepali Congress sources, party president Sushil Koirala and general secretary Krishna Sitaula discussed with the President the political crisis that engulfed the nation and also a possible way out if the Constituent Assembly was dissolved without drafting the constitution.
The parties are polarised on the key contentious issue of federating the country in the new constitution.
The Maoists and the five party alliance of the Madhesi Front were in favour of two federal states in the Terai or southern plains and eight federal states in the hilly region while the Nepali Congress-UML alliance have proposed three federal states under the southern plains and five under hilly region.
Meanwhile, top leaders of three major parties and the Joint Madhesi Front are holding meeting at the Prime Minister`s official residence at Baluwatar in an attempt to forge agreement on all the contentious issues.
Bijaya Gachhadar, the Deputy Prime Minister and senior Madhesi leader, told reporters that the parties are making last ditch efforts to forge consensus.
During a high level meeting of the CPN-UML, the party`s president Jhala Nath Khanal has floated the idea of collecting signatures to bring no-trust-motion against Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai if no agreement was reached on the contentious issue of the constitution drafting.
The issue of moving no-trust-motion against Bhattarai is said to have emerged during a secret meeting held between the CPN-UML and the dissident group of the UCPN-Maoist led by Mohan Vaidya `Kiran` today.
According to observers, if no consensus is reached by tomorrow mid-night, the Constituent Assembly will cease to exist and the country will be left without a valid constitution resulting in severe political and constitutional crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick