Nepal opposition demands national govt, polls in mid- April
Kathmandu: Major Nepalese opposition party CPN-UML today demanded formation of a national consensus government that will hold fresh elections in mid-April.
During the meeting of the four major political forces organised in Kathmanduon Tuesday, the CPN-UML has floated a seven-point proposal to end the ongoing political stalemate, according to former Prime Minister and senior leader of CPN-UML Madhav Kumar Nepal.
The political parties should first record the agreed points of the new constitution and make efforts to resolve contentious issues of the constitution within 3-5 days for resolving the political crisis, Nepal said elaborating about the seven-point proposal of his party.
Nepal is facing a political and constitutional deadlock after the Constituent Assembly was dissolved in May-end without promulgating the constitution.
"Election is inevitable, either for the Constituent Assembly or for the Parliament, and the appropriate time for the new election is mid-April," Nepal said on the sidelines of a tea reception hosted by the party at its office in Kathmandu.
He, however, underlined the need to form a national consensus government before going for polls.
"The incumbent government led by Maoist vice-chairman Baburam Bhattarai has no authority to hold elections," he pointed out.
"It is only the new government that is entitled to bring the new budget", Nepal said.
The new government should announce the budget, conduct fresh elections and implement the previous agreements reached among the political parties, he said.
The Maoist government is likely to face a funds crunch as the partial budget brought four months ago by Bhattarai government through ordinance is set to conclude in mid-November.
The major opposition parties, Nepali Congress and CPN-UML have been pressurising president Ram Baran Yadav not to endorse the new budget to be presented by the caretaker government.
Nepal also claimed that both ruling alliance members UCP-Maoist and Joint Madhesi Front had reacted positively to the seven-point proposal floated by his party during the joint meeting.
The meeting was attended by UCPN-Maoist chief Prachanda, Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala, CPN-UML chairman Jhalanath Khanal and Joint Madhesi Front leader Bijaya Gachhadar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in