Nepal Opposition rejects Prachanda`s new govt proposal
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Opposition parties on Friday rejected as "totally absurd" Maoist chairman Prachanda`s proposal to form an election government led by incumbent Chief Justice for holding Constituent Assembly polls, calling it a ploy to cling to power.
Addressing a massive anti-government protest rally in the capital today, the opposition leaders from nine parties severely criticised the Maoists` latest proposal dubbing it as another tool to hoodwink the opposition parties again.
Former prime minister and senior leader of Nepali Congress Sher Bahadur Deuba and chairman of Jamoarcha Nepal Chitra Bahadur Khatrichhetri charged that the Maoist proposal of appointing the incumbent Supreme Court chief justice as new Prime Minister was a new strategy to render the judiciary defunct and exert control over them.
"The Maoists have tried to influence judiciary through this move which is totally absurd," they said.
The UCPN chief Prachanda had floated the idea of forming an election government under the leadership of sitting Chief Justice that would hold new election to the Constituent Assembly in April-May to draft the constitution at the Maoists` party convention that concluded yesterday.
Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala said "the countdown of Baburam Bhattarai-led government has already begun" as Nepalese people will never allow the Maoists` move to impose their totalitarian regime.
Citing the examples of democratic movements in Syria and Libya, where the dictators were overthrown by people`s power, he said "the fate of the Maoist party will be like that of ex-King Gyanendra, if they tried to impose dictatorship."
He advised the Maoists "to try to win the confidence of the people instead of making use of violence and terror to capture (power)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP cuts gap, witnesses massive surge in seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway