Nepal PM warns ex-king against comeback
Kathmandu: Nepal Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai on Monday warned former King Gyanendra Shah of stripping all the facilities provided to him by the state if he continued to talk about his desire to stage a comeback.
Bhattarai asked the deposed King not to try to take advantage of current political impasse in the country.
"The former King does not seem to have learnt any lesson," Bhattarai said, "He will have to lose whatever facilities he was enjoying."
Claiming that despite the current rift the political parties were heading for a consensus, Bhattarai said the parties would again join hands "if monarchy tried to raise its head".
Four years after leaving Narayanhiti Palace to become a commoner, Shah has kicked up a storm by expressing his desire to stage a comeback.
PM Bhattarai`s remarks came in the wake of former King Gyanendra`s remarks during a recent interview to a private television channel that the then seven-party alliance had on April 24, 2006 - when the Gyanendra agreed to return powers reached an agreement to retain Constitutional monarchy.
Last week, while touring few districts of southern Nepal including Kapilvastu and Nawalparasi Gyanendra has said that monarchy could return "if the people wished".
Meanwhile, former minister and Nepali Congress general secretary Krishna Prasad Sitaula challenged former King Gyanendra to provide evidence for the alleged agreement between Nepali Congress and the then alliance of six other parties to retain the monarchy.
Sitaula said that no such agreement was reached among the seven political parties and the monarchy.
Sitaula said that the Nepalese people would not comply with the ex-King`s dream to reinstate the monarchy.
There is no possibility of revival of monarchy in the country in this situation, he pointed out.
He said Prime Minister Bhattarai should immediately decide whether to continue providing state facilities to Gyanendra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested