Nepal President urged on forming consensus govt
Kathmandu: After days of political squabble, Nepal`s opposition CPN-UML leader Madhav Kumar Nepal on Wednesday sought President Ram Baran Yadav`s intervention to resolve the constitutional crisis through the formation of a national consensus government.
"The national consensus government was inevitable to rescue the country from the current political impasse," said the former premier, who met President Yadav at Rastrapati Bhawan today in an attempt to diffuse the crisis.
"During my meeting with the President, I underlined the need to form a new consensus government to relieve the country out of the existing political and constitutional crisis," Nepal said.
"The President told me that he has already asked the Prime Minister to cooperate for formation of a national consensus government," Nepal said.
Nepal said that the government cannot introduce even a partial Budget at this moment and "time is running out for announcing the new Budget."
As per the rule the government must bring the new Budget by mid-July.
"Under Article 43 of the Constitution each and every Act of the government should be based on the principles of consensus and collaboration with political parties," he said.
The Supreme Court has in its verdict allowed the government to bring partial Budget, but it had made it clear that a national consensus was essential to bring a full Budget.
Nepal’s meeting with President Yadav comes a day after 26 opposition parties led by the Nepal Congress and CPN-UML decided to urge the President not to approve the new fiscal Budget through ordinance as per the move of Prime Minister Bhattarai`s administration.
Meanwhile, the joint meeting of top leaders of four major political forces in Nepal ended inconclusively yesterday after Maoist chief Prachanda stressed on package deal before forming a national consensus government under the leadership of Nepali Congress, as per the opposition parties` demand.
The joint meeting held at Prachanda`s residence at Lazimpat dwelt on three key issues, forming a national government, promulgating constitution and budget for new fiscal year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown