Nepal Prez extends deadline to form consensus govt
Kathmandu: Nepal`s warring political parties on Thursday got more time to name a consensus Prime Ministerial candidate after President Ram Baran Yadav extended the deadline by a week.
The president has extended the term of forming a consensus government till December 6, according to the president`s press advisor Rajendra Dahal.
Earlier last week, the President had called political parties to recommend the name of a consensus candidate for Prime Minister and a cabinet headed by him by November 29.
The president issued the notice of extending the deadline after holding a crucial meeting with leaders of major political parties.
"The President was very much optimistic that the political parties would be able to reach a consensus on forming a new government within the extended deadline," Dahal told PTI after the meeting.
President Yadav today held meeting with the top leaders of four major political forces including Maoist chief Prachanda, Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala, CPN-UML chairman Jhala Nath Khanal and Sadbhawana Party president Rajendra Mahato.
During the meeting, the top leaders requested the president to provide few more days to reach agreement on forming a consensus government, according to Sadbhawana Party leader and Health Minister Mahato.
"We had tried to reach consensus to form a new government but no agreement was reached in the matter, thus we need more time for discussion," he told PTI.
The week long deadline issued by President Yadav to
political parties to suggest name of a consensus candidate of the Prime Minister ended this evening.
Main opposition Nepali Congress and CPN-UML along with other fringe parties have welcomed the move.
The opposition have been exerting pressure on Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai to step down to pave way for forming a national government.
A cabinet meeting headed by PM Bhattarai had last week denounced the president`s move to call for formation of a national government terming it as breach of the provisions of the Interim Constitution.
Hectic consultations are underway within and among the major political parties in an attempt to reach consensus on formation of a national unity government since last week.
Nepal has plunged into a constitutional and political deadlock since May 27 when the Constituent Assembly was dissolved without drafting a new constitution.
The political crisis has further deepened in the Himalayan republic after Premier Bhattarai failed to keep his promise of conducting fresh election to the Constituent Assembly on November 22 with a view to promulgating the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly