Nepal Prez sets another deadline, but no sign of consensus
Kathmandu: Nepal seems to be trapped in a never-ending loop of deadlines and extensions over the formation of a consensus government as warring politicians refuse to set aside their differences despite several rounds of extended talks.
President Ram Baran Yadav today extended for a sixth time a deadline to nominate a prime ministerial candidate by six more days, before his departure to India for a state visit.
Yadav, who will be in India for the next six days, has asked Nepal`s warring political factions to try to hammer out a solution to end the country`s political crisis.
President Yadav has extended the deadline to nominate the name of the prime minister to lead a national consensus government till December 29 prior to his departure to India, according to a statement issued by the president`s office.
Yadav left Kathmandu this afternoon accompanied by a team of 20 people including his daughter Anu Yadav, according to sources at the president`s office.
During his visit, Yadav will meet Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other top officials.
He is visiting at the invitation of Benaras Hindu University, where he will be conferred with the `Doctorate of Letters` title in the presence of his Indian counterpart Pranab Mukherjee and University Chancellor Karan Singh.
Earlier in the day, Yadav had summoned the leaders of major political parties representing the dissolved Constituent Assembly to his official residence and urged them to be serious towards ending the current political impasse and form a national consensus government at the earliest.
Those who met the president at the Rastrapati Bhawan included Maoist chief Prachanda, Nepali Congress president Sushil Koirala and CPN-UML chairman Jhalanath Khanal.
The president had for the first time issued a deadline to the parties to name a consensus prime ministerial candidate on November 23 and this is a sixth extension to that deadline.
Nepal has been in the midst of a political and constitutional crisis since May 27, when the Constituent Assembly was dissolved by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai without the promulgation of a Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception