Nepal protest: Hindu vigilantes attack Maoists
Kathmandu: More than a dozen Maoist leaders were hurt and two vehicles torched along the Nepal-India border Thursday as Hindu vigilantes attacked Maoist protesters enforcing an indefinite closure and security forces joined the fray.
Dozens of young men, flourishing bamboo sticks and wearing red bandanas around their heads, said to be belonging to a Hindu religious organisation, the Vishwa Hindu Yuva Sangathan, bore down on Maoist supporters. They were shown ruthlessly demolishing a camp set up for the protesters in Birgunj, Nepal`s major industrial town in Parsa district, adjoining India`s Bihar district.
According to preliminary reports, the young men were taking part in an anti-Maoist strike rally and trying to force shopkeepers into opening shops, closed since May 2, when they were opposed by Maoist protesters.
The group then attacked the Maoist protesters and ran amok, knocking down the tables set up to cook food for the protesters, throwing the food on the ground and carting away cooking gas cylinders and cooking oil.
Some then used the oil to douse two cars belonging to two Maoist Members of Parliament and set them on fire.
Kantipur Television, an independent television station, said security forces jumped into the fray, ruthlessly beating up the unarmed Maoist protesters, hitting more than a dozen, including women, on their heads.
The town was tense with the local administration calling an emergency meeting amidst fears that curfew could be imposed.
The Maoists have been claiming that the ruling parties had been hiring goons from India across the border to infiltrate their protests, which they say are peaceful.
However, despite the claim, there has been sporadic violence nationwide with anti-Maoists protests beginning to erupt.
In the capital as well as outer districts, people, claiming not to be affiliated to any political parties, were marching in protest against the indefinite Maoist strike that entered the fifth day Thursday without any sign of letting up.
On Wednesday, anti-strike protesters, led by the ruling party`s youth wing, Youth Force, clashed with Maoists in Bhaktapur city. Maoists said vigilantes fired during the scuffle and bullets were found in the area.
The Youth Force said a 20-year-old supporter was killed during another skirmish in Makwanpur district when he was hit by bricks, allegedly thrown by Maoist protesters.
Anti-Maoist protests were also reported in remote Parbat district after the former rebels reportedly attacked a member of the ruling Nepali Congress party in his own residence and beat up his family members, including his grandparents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India