Nepal puts off Army security for GMR project
Kathmandu: Nepal government has dropped
the decision of deploying the Army at the country`s biggest
hydropower project being developed by Indian company GMR
following protests by the Unified CPN-Maoist.
Facing intense pressure from the Maoists opposing the
deployment of the army at the 900 MW Upper Karnali Hydropower Project, the government has now decided to send police there
for the security.
"The army will be deployed only if the police failed
to provide security," Home Minister Krishna Bahadur Mahara
Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister yesterday
informed the Parliamentary State Affairs Committee that the
government had already deployed civil policemen and Armed
Police Force personnel at the project site.
On June 16, the cabinet had decided to deploy Army
personnel at the project following frequent Maoist attacks.
Last month a group of Maoists had set ablaze three
offices belonging to the project situated in Dailekh district
of western Nepal.
The cabinet decision was strongly opposed by the
Maoists, the key partner in Khanal`s alliance government, who
warned they would spearhead a protest from the streets,
parliament as well as within the government.
GMR is developing the biggest hydropower project of
Nepal in Dailekh district in the western Nepal which is said
to be the lowest-budget hydroelectricity project in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered