Nepal SC issues notice over move to form CJ-led election govt
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Supreme Court on Monday issued a show-cause notice to the President, government and major political parties over their move to form a Chief Justice-led election government to conduct Constituent Assembly polls.
During the preliminary hearing of a writ challenging the proposal, Justice Sushila Karki issued the order demanding that the defendants, including President Ram Baran Yadav, Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai, Maoist chief Prachanda and four major political parties, furnish a written explanation within nine days (by March 5).
Advocate Bharat Jangam had filed a writ petition at the Supreme Court last week challenging the decision of four major political parties --UCPN (Maoist), Nepali Congress (NC), CPN-UML and United Democratic Madhesi Front (UDMF) -- to form a government headed by Chief Justice Khil Raj Regmi.
A single bench of Justice Karki asked the defendants to furnish their clarification by March 5, in response to the writ petition filed by Jangam, who argued that the decision made by the four major political parties was against the spirit of Interim Constitution and would encroach on the independence of judiciary.
Some fringe pasties including CPN-Maoist, the breakaway faction of UCPN-Maoist have also opposed the decision to form the election government under the Chief Justice.
As per today`s court ruling, the final verdict on the petition will be issued following a discussion on March 7 in front of a special bench after the defendants furnish their written clarification.
Meanwhile, a meeting of the four major political parties to take decision on formation of Chief Justice-led election government ended inconclusively.
The meeting however decided to take the final decision on the prospect of formation of the election government by tomorrow.
Emerging from the meeting, Nepali Congress Vice-president Ram Chandra Poudel said that the confusion surrounding the formation of sitting Chief Justice-led government will be cleared by tomorrow.
He said that parties may discuss the alternatives if Chief Justice-led government could not be formed by tomorrow.
Nepal had plunged into a political and constitutional crisis after the Constituent Assembly was dissolved by Maoist Prime Minister Bhattarai in May last year without drafting the constitution.
The crisis further deepened as Bhattarai announced fresh elections in November last year but failed to conduct polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India