Nepal SC stays promotion of controversial Army officer
Kathmandu: Nepal`s apex court on Monday stayed a government order to promote a senior Army officer accused of torture and forced disappearances during the country`s decade-long civil war.
A single bench of Chief Justice Prakash Chandra Basti issued the interim order in response to a writ filed on behalf of rights organisations and the family members of those who had disappeared during the conflict, seeking the Supreme Court`s intervention in the promotion of Raju Basnet.
On October 04, Nepal`s cabinet had decided to promote five colonels including Basnet, who was implicated in the forced disappearance of 49 Maoist cadres during the peak period of the insurgency, to the rank of brigadier general.
Various national and international human rights groups had been exerting pressure against Basnet`s promotion, citing his alleged role in the torture and disappearance cases.
Basnet had commanded the Bhairabnath Battalion in 2003, when soldiers under him allegedly tortured suspected Maoists cadres and their sympathisers, according to investigations carried out by the UN Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights and the National Human Rights Commission.
During the civil war that ended in 2006, over 16,000 people were killed while over 1,000 are still missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh