Nepal sends team to china to expedite Pokhra Airport project
Kathmandu: Nepal has sent a delegation to China to expedite matters, including securing a financial assistance package, for constructing a regional airport in Pokhara, the country`s tourist hub.
China has shown interest to provide financial assistance in the form of soft loan for the construction of the airport.
"The five-member team led by Tourism Secretary Yajna Prasad Gautam has been dispatched to China to expedite work related to receiving loan assistance from China for the construction of the regional airport," Tourism Minister Posta Bahadur Bogati told reporters.
He was speaking at the World Tourism Day programme organized by Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu.
The tourism entrepreneurs, local people and youths have been obstructing flights to and from Pokhara for the past one week to pressurise the government to expedite work relating to construct the regional airport.
Bogatai asked the agitating groups to withdraw their strike as the government is committed to constructing the regional airport in the valley once procedural and other hurdles are cleared.
"There are some legal hurdles to start the construction work, once these hurdles are cleared we are committed to construct the regional airport," he said.
The government has already initiated the tender process for constructing the airport.
The visiting Nepali delegation will discuss on possible measures to resolve complexity with China`s Ministry of Transport as well as the Exim Bank of China for financing the airport construction.
Issuing a statement Tourism Minister Bogati said that the government is seriously working towards constructing necessary infrastructures for the regional airport and the work will be expedited by considering technical and legal issues involving both China and Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’