Nepal team to visit China to buy aircraft
Kathmandu: A team from the Nepali Civil Aviation Authority is scheduled to leave for China on Sunday for the purchase of China-made MA60 aircraft, officials said Friday.
The team of three is due to sign two agreements, one on technical cooperation and the other on airworthiness with their Chinese partners, reported Xinhua.
Earlier, China had pledged to provide Nepal with a 19-seater Harbin Y-12e and an MA60 turboprop in grant. But the Nepali government also plans to purchase four other aircraft, three Harbin Y-12e and an MA60, by taking soft loans from the Export-Import Bank of China.
"The agreement on bilateral technical cooperation includes maintenance, flight operations and spare parts, among other areas of cooperation," said Nepali Civil Aviation Authority director general Tri Ratna Manandhar.
"The agreements are expected to facilitate the reciprocal airworthiness certification of civil aeronautical products imported and exported between the two countries. The airworthiness agreement aims to improve bilateral cooperation to ensure continuous safe operation of the aircraft. It will also resolve airworthiness issues during the aircraft utilisation process," the Kathmandu Post quoted him as saying.
Recently, the Nepali Ministry of Finance had formally sent a letter to the Chinese bank requesting soft loans for the purchase of the Chinese aircraft for the Nepal Airlines Corporation (NAC), he added.
After receiving the Chinese bank`s response, the government will form a loan negotiation team to finalise the terms of negotiation and ascertain the actual amount required to fund the aircraft purchase.
If things go as planned, NAC will receive the first delivery of the two aircraft in grant within two months after the loan agreement, according to NAC officials.
Rest of the deliveries are expected within five months after the first delivery, Manandhar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees