Nepal: Thousands throng to celebrate Christmas
Kathmandu: Thousands of Christians on Saturday
thronged churches in Nepal on the Christmas eve, with the
tourist hub Thamel in the capital being decorated with
colourful lights and Christmas trees.
Hindus and Buddhists also joined Christians, as people
were also seen in restaurants and night clubs in large
The city wore a dazzling look with Thamel and
Durbarmarg, two key tourist hotspots in the city, being
decorated with colourful lights, paper flags and Christmas
trees to lure the visitors.
Some 600 churches, including the biggest Assumption
Church of Jawalakhel, were full of visitors who queued up in
larger numbers to offer their prayers. The Federation of
National Christian, Nepal is hosting a grand function at Nepal
Academy Hall in the capital tomorrow on the occasion.
The function is likely to be attended by government
officials, political leaders and dignitaries apart from
intellectuals, journalists and persons from business
community, C B Gahatraj, general secretary of the organisation
Interestingly, cutting across religious lines, apart
from Christians, people from majority Hindu and Buddhist
community have also been joining the celebrations with equal
fervour and enthusiasm. Government has declared December 25 a
national holiday to mark the occasion.
At present, the population of Christian community stands
around 10 per cent of country`s total population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list