Nepal: Thousands throng to celebrate Christmas
Kathmandu: Thousands of Christians on Saturday
thronged churches in Nepal on the Christmas eve, with the
tourist hub Thamel in the capital being decorated with
colourful lights and Christmas trees.
Hindus and Buddhists also joined Christians, as people
were also seen in restaurants and night clubs in large
The city wore a dazzling look with Thamel and
Durbarmarg, two key tourist hotspots in the city, being
decorated with colourful lights, paper flags and Christmas
trees to lure the visitors.
Some 600 churches, including the biggest Assumption
Church of Jawalakhel, were full of visitors who queued up in
larger numbers to offer their prayers. The Federation of
National Christian, Nepal is hosting a grand function at Nepal
Academy Hall in the capital tomorrow on the occasion.
The function is likely to be attended by government
officials, political leaders and dignitaries apart from
intellectuals, journalists and persons from business
community, C B Gahatraj, general secretary of the organisation
Interestingly, cutting across religious lines, apart
from Christians, people from majority Hindu and Buddhist
community have also been joining the celebrations with equal
fervour and enthusiasm. Government has declared December 25 a
national holiday to mark the occasion.
At present, the population of Christian community stands
around 10 per cent of country`s total population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered