Nepal to have Asia`s first gay, lesbian centre
Kathmandu: Nepal is all set to have the first
LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Trans-sexual) regional
centre, with financial support from the government, near here
to promote the rights of sexual minorities of the South Asian
According to lawmaker and activist Sunal Babu Pant, the
centre with a conference capacity of 300 will be ready within
three years at the cost of around USD 2 million. It will be
the first such LGBT centre in the entire Asia, he claimed.
The centre will have a hostel to accommodate 60 students
who are deprived of hostel facilities due their sexual status,
It will be useful especially for sexual minorities from
Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Pakistan, where the conditions of
the third sex are vulnerable, he added.
The centre will be equipped with a theatre, workshop
facility, gallery, library, cafeteria, playground, health
clinic, gym and swimming pool among other things. An area of
27,380 sq ft has been acquired for it at Taudaha near here.
An architectural plan for the centre will be prepared
within a week, Pant said adding donors from the country and
abroad will be approached for the funding. The land has been
purchased with the Rs 3 million annual grant received from the
government of Nepal.
The aim of establishing the centre is to make the sexual
minorities independent and uplift their existing status, says
Pant, the president of Blue Diamond Society that promotes
rights and welfare of the sexual minorities in Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!