Nepal to work with neighbours to conserve Himalayan ecology
Kathmandu: Nepal will work closely with its neighbours, India, China and Bhutan, to conserve the unique ecology of the Himalayan region, an intergovernmental body looking after conservation efforts in the region said on Monday.
Cooperation across borders to manage the landscape will help preserve the Himalayan region`s biological diversity and cultural heritage, while enhancing opportunities of livelihood for the local communities, said a statement from the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), headquartered here.
ICIMOD is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries, which are covered by the Hindu Kush and Himalayan range. Its members are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan.
To consolidate the ongoing cross-border conservation efforts, the Secretary of the Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation (MoFSC) of Nepal, Krishna Chandra Paudel, and the Director General of ICIMOD, David Molden recently signed a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
Prior to the signing ceremony, MoFSC held the 2nd?National Coordination Committee Meeting for `Kailash Sacred Landscape Conservation and Development Initiative`.
This initiative is a pioneer programme, supported UK and Germany. It will go a long way in forging transnational cooperation between India, China and Nepal, by proactively engaging them in ensuring the sustained management of ecosystem and protecting the welfare of millions of people living in the region, ICIMOD said today.
The implementation of this MoU will be effected through agreements with key Nepalese institutions that?share the common vision of long-term conservation initiatives based on regional transboundary cooperation and ecosystem management approaches, ICIMOD said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!