Nepal: Woman burned to death over witchcraft claims
Kathmandu: A 40-year-old woman was burnt to
death in central Nepal for allegedly practicing witchcraft,
police said on Saturday.
Dhegani Mahato, a widow, was attacked and set on fire by
family members and others after a shaman allegedly accused her
of casting a spell to make one of her relatives sick.
She was beaten with sticks and rocks before being doused
with kerosene and set afire.
The attack occurred yesterday in Bagauda in Chitwan
Although there are several other houses in the
vicinity, nobody came to rescue Dhegani while she was being
Neighbors told police they were alerted to the attack but
by then it was too late to save her.
"When I reached the site, she was already killed," said
Jhari Mahato, Dhegani`s father-in-law.
Police have arrested eight persons, including Bikram
and Jogishwora Mahato, who claims to be shamans, in connection
with the burning.
Villagers say Bikram Mahato`s family members started
dancing as they set Dhegani on fire. They claimed that they
had killed Dhegani as per "the god`s instructions".
Dhegani`s husband had died of cancer seven years
ago. She had been living with her 10-year-old son and
eight-year-old daughter since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe
- Eating out, mobile bills, internet, travelling set to get costlier from June 1
- 7 hot tips to stay fit and healthy!
- Barack Obama lays wreath at Hiroshima Memorial, says death fell from the sky and the world changed
- North Korea slams Obama's 'childish' Hiroshima visit