Nepal: Writ petition in SC asks Prez to sack PM
Kathmandu: Pressure mounted on Nepal`s caretaker Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai to quit as a writ petition was on Monday filed in the Supreme Court asking President Ram Baran Yadav to sack him to pave the way for formation of a national consensus government.
Advocates Saroj Kumar Thapa and Paras Mani Bhattarai, in their writ petition, asked the President to issue directives to remove Prime Minister Bhattarai.
The move came at a time when opposition parties Nepali Congress and CPN-UML have been asking the Prime Minister to step down so that efforts could be made for forming a national consensus government.
The opposition parties have termed as unconstitutional the Prime Minister`s move to conduct fresh elections for the Constituent Assembly on November 22 and asked him to resign at the earliest.
The Cabinet headed by Bhattarai last week sent two bills relating to amendment to the Interim Constitution for conducting the Constituent Assembly elections in November.
However, the President`s office has not yet responded to the Prime Minister`s move.
The Election Commission has also made it clear that in absence of important rules and regulations governing the elections, the fresh polls were not possible in November.
Nepal`s political crisis has deepened as the opposition and the coalition partners have failed to sort out their differences on the contentious issues of the Constitution and the election date.
In a related development, the district secretaries` convention of Nepali Congress kicked off in Sindhupalchowk district near here as part of the party`s move to mobilise the cadres in view of its ongoing protests aimed at ousting Prime Minister Bhattarai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'