Nepal: Writ petition in SC asks Prez to sack PM
Kathmandu: Pressure mounted on Nepal`s caretaker Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai to quit as a writ petition was on Monday filed in the Supreme Court asking President Ram Baran Yadav to sack him to pave the way for formation of a national consensus government.
Advocates Saroj Kumar Thapa and Paras Mani Bhattarai, in their writ petition, asked the President to issue directives to remove Prime Minister Bhattarai.
The move came at a time when opposition parties Nepali Congress and CPN-UML have been asking the Prime Minister to step down so that efforts could be made for forming a national consensus government.
The opposition parties have termed as unconstitutional the Prime Minister`s move to conduct fresh elections for the Constituent Assembly on November 22 and asked him to resign at the earliest.
The Cabinet headed by Bhattarai last week sent two bills relating to amendment to the Interim Constitution for conducting the Constituent Assembly elections in November.
However, the President`s office has not yet responded to the Prime Minister`s move.
The Election Commission has also made it clear that in absence of important rules and regulations governing the elections, the fresh polls were not possible in November.
Nepal`s political crisis has deepened as the opposition and the coalition partners have failed to sort out their differences on the contentious issues of the Constitution and the election date.
In a related development, the district secretaries` convention of Nepali Congress kicked off in Sindhupalchowk district near here as part of the party`s move to mobilise the cadres in view of its ongoing protests aimed at ousting Prime Minister Bhattarai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'