Nepalese cabinet approves Gurung as new Army chief
Kathmandu: General Chhatra Man Gurung is
all set to be made the full Army Chief of Nepal with the
cabinet approving his formal appointment to head the 95,000
strong force, a step which could defuse the ongoing
confrontation between the government and the Maoists.
Gurung, the first Nepalese from the ethnic group to
head the Army is presently officiating as the Army chief as
the incumbent General Rukmangad Katawal has gone on a month
long leave prior to his retirement.
On the cabinet recommendation, the President Ram Baran
Yadav will officially appoint Gurung as the new Army Chief.
But the appointment would be formally made after the tenure of
the present chief expires on September 11.
Katawal was involved in a controversy as the former
prime minister Prachanda sacked him. But the President blocked
the Maoist government`s move.
With, the formal appointment of Gurung, the new
government headed by Madhav Kumar Nepal hopes to diffuse
confrontation with the Maoists, who are blocking the
proceedings of Parliament over the issue.
Prachanda has said that mere retirement of Katwal will
not satisfy his party as it wants to make it clear that in
democracy the will of the elected government should prevail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?