Nepalese committee draws roadmap for Maoist cadre management
Kathmandu: An all party Special Committee
has drawn up a roadmap to complete the management of the
Maoist combatants and their arms by August 27, a move to end
the political uncertainty in Nepal.
A meeting of the committee headed by Prime Minister
on Tuesday set the deadline for conclusion of the peace process
which should have been completed by November 2008 as per
The committee also decided to bring the arms of the
ex-Maoist fighters under the control of the government by
"The Special Committee has prepared a calendar to
complete the tasks related to integration and rehabilitation
of Maoist combatants," said JP Gupta, who attended the meeting
Under categorisation, those ex-fighters who opt for
integration will be segregated in one group while those opting
for rehabilitation will be put in another group.
Similarly, those who prefer voluntary retirement will
be kept in a separate group.
Integration and rehabilitation of over 19,000
ex-combatants is at the centre of the peace process that began
in November 2006 with the signing of the Comprehensive Peace
Agreement between the Maoists and then government. "The
categorisation of ex-combatants will begin immediately after
their survey and profiling," Gupta said.
The Special Committee has planned to deploy 120
experts for survey and profiling of the ex-combatants on June
The experts, either conflict experts or ex-UN
officials will be simultaneously deployed in cantonments in
four groups of 30 each.
The Special Committee has planned to complete
categorisation of the ex-combatants between 60 to 63 days.
With the finalisation of the calendar, the Special
Committee is now focusing on the finalisation of integration
modality, standard norms for integration and rehabilitation
package along with fixation of the number of the combatants to
The major political parties are yet to agree on the
number of combatants to be integrated in to the national army.
The Special Committee has set June 19 deadline for the
finalisation of integration modality, rehabilitation package
and fixation of the number.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi