Nepalese ex-prince held in Thailand on drugs charge
Bangkok: Nepal`s controversial former crown prince Paras Shah was arrested in Thailand and charged with possession of marijuana, reports said on Wednesday.
Police said the incident happened last month when Shah had to spend a night in jail in the tourist resort of Phuket on a charge of possessing an illegal drug.
The former crown prince was later released on bail of 10,000 baht (Rs 18000), it added.
A senior police officer in Phuket told the Bangkok Post that the former crown prince was arrested with a woman at a hotel in the resort island.
He did not identify the woman.
The officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Phuket police had been called by the hotel to break up a quarrel between a man and a woman and they found the drugs while mediating the dispute.
The man turned out to be the Nepalese former crown prince, he added.
Nepalese newspaper The Himalayan Times said the Nepalese embassy in Bangkok was informed about the case on Oct 27.
The Nepalese embassy and Thai embassy in Nepal "have remained mum over this matter," it added.
Paras Shah has been involved in similar escapades back home in Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter