Nepalese man burns pregnant wife alive: Police
Kathmandu: Police have arrested a man in rural Nepal after he allegedly killed his 22-year-old pregnant wife by stuffing her into a hay bale and setting it alight, an officer said on Tuesday.
"We received a call from the husband that the woman had gone missing, but when our officers arrived on the scene they saw the body and were suspicious," Niraj Jha, superintendent of police in Morang district, told AFP.
He said that the man was arrested on suspicion of murder and would be presented in a local court later on Tuesday.
The woman, Maina Bardewa Bhitrikoti, who was four-months pregnant, suffered burns on more than fifty percent of her body in the alleged murder in the early hours of Monday.
Her mother told The Himalayan Times, a local daily, that she had planned to visit her daughter on the same day to discuss her recent complaints of "domestic issues".
The couple had been married for about two years and the husband, Prithvi, had returned from a stint working in Qatar eight months ago.
Violence against women has garnered increased public attention in Nepal in the wake of protests in India catalysed by the brutal gang-rape and death of a female student in New Delhi.
"These cases of violence are not new," Lily Thapa, a veteran Nepalese women`s rights activist, told AFP.
"It`s just we`re hearing about them now because women`s groups have been empowered to report violence these days -- it has always been around and it must be stopped," she said.
A protest demanding justice for gender-based violence survivors and an end to impunity has been staged continuously for the past 103 days outside the Kathmandu residence of the prime minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow