Nepalese Maoists protest reported Patna HC verdict
Kathmandu: The ruling Maoists in Nepal
today raised in parliament the issue of 11 top Nepalese Maoist
leaders being reportedly sentenced in absentia by the Patna
Politburo members Lokendra Bista and Kul Bahadur Khatri
Chhetri, some central committee members and MPs of the Maoist
party, were among those who were reportedly sentenced.
Maoist lawmaker Girirajmani Pokharel raised the issue in
the Nepalese Parliament.
He expressed concern during parliament session,
describing the sentencing as "objectionable especially when
Nepal`s current political scenario has completely undergone
change" from the time when the charges were filed.
Meanwhile, Maoist spokesman Dinanath Sharma said, "Our
party is trying to get exact information regarding the case
and I hope that these issues would be resolved through
diplomatic channels between the two countries."
"All of them are high level leaders of the party and
they were arrested in Patna, India while returning from a
central committee meeting of then underground party," he said.
However, the sentencing by the Patna HC could not be
The Indian court had slapped jail terms and fine on 11
Nepali Maoist leaders who were arrested by the Indian police
in May 2, 2004 and subsequently tried at the court in absentia
on charges of being involved in activities against sovereignty
of Nepal and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?