Nepalese min quits constitutional body over graft
Kathmandu: A top Nepalese minister belonging
to Madhesi community has resigned from a constitutional body,
responsible for making appointments like that of the Chief
Justice, till he is cleared of graft charges in the Supreme
Communication Minister and Madhesi leader Jayaprakash
Gupta, who was appointed to the Constitutional Council three
months, yesterday submitted his resignation to Prime Minister
The Commission for Investigation of Abuse of Authority
(CIAA) had filed the case against Gupta accusing him of
amassing property through illegal means.
The council is responsible for making appointments of
chiefs of constitutional bodies including the Chief Justice.
Gupta`s resignation has come immediately after Chief
Justice Kheel Raj Regmee and other civil society member
expressed serious concern over his appointment, according to
the court sources.
A graft case against Gupta, the president of Madhesi
Peoples Rights Forum (Republic), is sub-judiced at the Supreme
"I resigned so as to ensure the presence of non-
controversial members in the CC," Gupta said, adding he
doesn`t want to drag honourable members of the CC and the
honourable institution into controversy due to his presence in
Recently, civil society members including former chief of
the Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority
(CIAA) Surya Nath Upadhaya and former secretaries Bhoj Raj
Pokharel and Rameshor Khanal, popular comedians Madan Krishna
Shrestha and Hari Bansha Acharya had submitted a memorandum to
Bhattarai, demanding dismissal of Gupta as CC member.
The civil society members had reminded the prime minister
that the chief justice and a person against whom a graft case
is sub judice at the Supreme Court cannot sit together.
The SC is set to issue a verdict on Gupta`s case next
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill