Nepalese minister resigns over bribery charges
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Labour Minister resigned today after he was caught on camera allegedly seeking bribes for registering private companies offering jobs abroad.
Minister for Labour and Employment Kumar Belbase resigned after he was accused of bribery, Minister for Information and Communication Raj Kishore Yadav who is also the government spokesperson said.
Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai earlier in the day had sought the resignation of Belbase.
"Now the ministerial portfolio of Labour ministry has been handed over to Minister for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation Post Bahadur Bogati," Himalayan Times said.
Belbase was caught on video tape demanding bribe from manpower companies and promising them to register foreign employment companies, the paper said.
Belbase has been accused of demanding Rs 250,000 from different manpower companies.
Belbase is also a politburo member of CPN-ML sent his resignation via fax to PM. CPN-ML is one of the ruling parties in the incumbent government led by the Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery