Nepalese Muslims celebrate Eid-ul-Azha
Kathmandu: Nepalese Muslims celebrated the Eid-ul-Azha festival as mass animal sacrifices, zest and bonhomie marked the festival in the country.
The festival commemorates the willingness of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God. Also known as Eid-Al-Adha, it is celebrated on the tenth day of the Arabian month Dhu`l Hijja.
The festival coincides with the Haj pilgrimage in Mecca and would be celebrated for three days. Ramatullah Miya, general secretary Muslim Association Nepal said that the great sacrifice of Prophet Mohammad marked the end of human sacrifice in the Muslim world.
"It is a festival of fraternity, solidarity and brotherhood for Muslims," he observed.
On the occasion, President Dr Ram Baran Yadav, Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal and leaders of various political parties have extended greetings to the Nepali Muslim community.
The Muslim population in Nepalis estimated to be around 2.5 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie