Nepalese oppn to launch agitation against govt
Kathmandu: Nepal`s main opposition parties, Nepali Congress and CPN-UML, today agreed to launch a strong agitation to dislodge the Maoist-led caretaker administration and replace it with a national consensus government.
A decision to this effect was taken at joint meeting of the top leaders of the two parties, attended by Nepali Congress President Sushil Koirala and General Secretary Prakash Man Singh, CPN-UML strongman K P Sharma Oli and General Secretary Ishwor Pokharel.
The leaders held consultations at the residence of Singh at Chaksibari in Kathmandu this morning and agreed to launch intensified protests demanding resignation of Prime Minister Bhattarai, Nepali Congress sources said.
"We will launch strong protests against the unconstitutional and anti-democratic move of the Prime Minister and to form a national consensus government," Singh told PTI after the meeting.
A joint meeting of various non-Maoist parties are being convened at the central office of CPN-UML at Balkhu on Friday in an attempt to chalk out joint protest programmes by bringing together all democratic and leftist forces, he said.
The protest programmes will be launched in all 75 districts of the country and a grand protest rally will be organised in Kathmandu next week, he said.
On May 27, the Maoist-led government had announced fresh elections for the Constituent Assembly on November 22 after political parties failed to promulgate a new statute by the May 27 deadline.
Yesterday, 16 opposition parties joined hands to ask President Ram Baran Yadav to dismiss the caretaker regime and replace it with national consensus government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof