Nepalese seeks compensation for 15 years in Japan jail
Tokyo: A Nepalese man, who was wrongly sentenced to life for murdering a prostitute here in 1997 has sought a compensation of USD 790,000 from the Japanese government for spending 15 years behind bars.
Govinda Prasad Mainali, 46, was tried and cleared of the charges by the Tokyo District Court last month after a DNA test indicated involvement of another man in killing of the woman.
Mainali was freed and sent back to Nepal in June after his request for a retrial was approved and the court cleared him of the charges in his absence.
He filed the request for compensation with the court on Friday under the criminal compensation law that allows a person to seek compensation for wrongful imprisonment at a rate that ranges from 1,000 to 12,500 yen (USD 12-145) per day, Kyodo news agency reported.
The sum is determined after the government considers such factors as the length of time served and degree of mental distress caused.
Mainali is seeking the maximum rate that totals it to around 68 million yen for 15 years. He may also file a lawsuit for damages, according to the report.
The Tokyo District Court initially acquitted Mainali but the High Court, based on the same circumstantial evidence, sentenced him to life in prison in 2000, after he had already spent three years behind bars.
The country`s Supreme Court also finalised the ruling of the High Court.
The victim`s corpse was found in a vacant apartment in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo, in March 1997. Mainali, a former restaurant employee, lived nearby and had been acquainted with the woman.
He was arrested by Tokyo police in May 1997 on charges of robbery and murder, and had been seeking a retrial since 2005, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins