Nepalese seeks compensation for 15 years in Japan jail
Tokyo: A Nepalese man, who was wrongly sentenced to life for murdering a prostitute here in 1997 has sought a compensation of USD 790,000 from the Japanese government for spending 15 years behind bars.
Govinda Prasad Mainali, 46, was tried and cleared of the charges by the Tokyo District Court last month after a DNA test indicated involvement of another man in killing of the woman.
Mainali was freed and sent back to Nepal in June after his request for a retrial was approved and the court cleared him of the charges in his absence.
He filed the request for compensation with the court on Friday under the criminal compensation law that allows a person to seek compensation for wrongful imprisonment at a rate that ranges from 1,000 to 12,500 yen (USD 12-145) per day, Kyodo news agency reported.
The sum is determined after the government considers such factors as the length of time served and degree of mental distress caused.
Mainali is seeking the maximum rate that totals it to around 68 million yen for 15 years. He may also file a lawsuit for damages, according to the report.
The Tokyo District Court initially acquitted Mainali but the High Court, based on the same circumstantial evidence, sentenced him to life in prison in 2000, after he had already spent three years behind bars.
The country`s Supreme Court also finalised the ruling of the High Court.
The victim`s corpse was found in a vacant apartment in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo, in March 1997. Mainali, a former restaurant employee, lived nearby and had been acquainted with the woman.
He was arrested by Tokyo police in May 1997 on charges of robbery and murder, and had been seeking a retrial since 2005, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow