Nepal’s Deputy PM resigns over CA extension
Kathmandu: Nepal`s efforts to draft its new constitution were hit by a fresh political jolt on Thursday, with the Deputy Prime Minister walking out of the Maoist-led government against the cabinet`s controversial move to seek another extension to the Constituent Assembly.
Nepali Congress leader and Deputy Premier Krishna Sitaula tendered his resignation from the Maoist-led coalition government, expressing his party`s serious objection to the move to extend the Constitution drafting body`s tenure beyond the May 27 deadline.
Sitaula said given that the Constitution is unlikely to be completed within the May 27 deadline, there was no point in remaining in the cabinet to back the government.
He also said that the term of the CA cannot be extended against the ruling of the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court had few months ago ruled that the CA term could not be repeatedly extended and the court had set a May 27 deadline before the political parties to finish the process of constitution drafting.
Sitaula is the leader of the two-member cabinet team of the second largest party Nepali Congress that had recently joined the government.
He said his other cabinet colleague from the party, Surya Man Gurung, has also decided to resign from the post.
Sitaula said he believed there was still a possibility of promulgating a draft constitution by May 27 if the political parties show some seriousness.
"The draft constitution can be announced within the deadline by putting aside some contentious issues to be decided by the Parliament later on," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?