Nepal`s development indicators impressive: UN
Nepal`s development indicators have been impressive despite the country passing through a "difficult" transitional period, a senior UN official said.
"Nepalis from many walks of life, from civil servants to village health volunteers, from police men and women to teachers, have achieved so much. Imagine what they could have accomplished in a more conducive governance environment," Piper said.
Informing about the UN`s involvement in a number of areas in Nepal, including development, governance, food security, poverty alleviation, women and children, peace process and Bhutanese refugee resettlement, Piper said the UN Country Team has continued working hard alongside its government partners, non-government actors, development partners and others to reduce poverty and accelerate Nepal`s development process.
Piper also maintained that there has been no resort to arms since the peace agreement was signed and Nepal has transitioned peacefully into becoming a republic.
"The cantonments have been emptied and the final integration of the Maoist army will be completed in just a few weeks time. The country has become minefield-free. These achievements need to be protected," Piper said.
"This peace process, from its very beginning, has been truly Nepali-led, supported by the international community," he said.
"We urge and hope that the country`s leadership will overcome the current deadlocks, reach out across political divides and lead Nepal successfully towards the national transformation envisioned in the Comprehensive Peace Accord," he added.
Piper expressed concern about the continuing political and constitutional crisis in the country with the Constituent Assembly dissolved in May without drafting the constitution.
He also informed about the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) signed between the Nepal government and the UN country team, which will frame the next 5 years of UN involvement in support of the government`s overall development vision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof