Nepal`s five-time PM to chair first Constituent Assembly meet
Kathmandu: Five-time Prime Minister Surya Bahadur Thapa, who is Nepal`s oldest lawmaker, will be the first member of the new Constituent Assembly to take oath of office on January 20.
The 85-year-old, elected to the assembly through the proportional representation (PR) system, is the president of the Rastriya Prajatantra Party.
Thapa will be administered the oath of office by President Ram Baran Yadav. Other assembly members will be sworn in by Thapa on January 21, according to sources at the President`s Office.
Thapa will also chair the first meeting of the Constituent Assembly, which also serves as the parliament.
There is a tradition in Nepal of the first meeting of a new parliament being chaired by the oldest member.
There were debates for nearly two weeks as to whether the Head of the Council of Ministers or the President would call the first meeting of the Constituent Assembly.
However, the political parties yesterday agreed that the head of the government, Khil Raj Regmi, would call the meeting as ordered by the President.
Regmi has summoned the first meeting of the Constituent Assembly for January 22. Thapa will remain as the Speaker of the Parliament or the Chairman of the Constituent Assembly until a new chairman is elected.
Under the PR system, 335 members of the 601-seat assembly are chosen according to the proportion of votes secured by political parties in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister