Nepal`s Maoists threaten to revolt over peace deal
Kathmandu: Top Maoist hardline leaders on Wednesday
threatened to "revolt" against a landmark pact providing for
the integration of a limited number of former Nepal rebels
into the security forces in a bid to push forward the stalled
peace process and drafting of a new constitution.
Senior Maoist vice chairman Mohan Vaidya "Kiran" and
general secretary Ram Bahadur Thapa demanded that the peace
deal reached between the main political parties be scrapped.
The leaders of the ruling United CPN-Maoist and its key
supporter in the coalition, Joint Democratic Madhesi Front
along with the main opposition parties, Nepali Congress and
CPN-UML yesterday inked a deal to integrate 6,500 of the
19,000 former Maoist combatants into the security forces and
return properties sezied during the decade-long civil war that
ended in 2006.
Vaidya and Thapa slammed the deal, claiming it was a
betrayal of the people and the country.
"The Maoist leaders signed the agreement dancing to the
tune of the imperialists by betraying the Peoples Liberation
Army (PLA) of the Maoists, the party and the general public,"
Vaidya told reporters in the capital, calling upon the party
leadership to scrap the deal.
"We will revolt from inside the party, but not let the
party split," he underlined.
"We swear by the martyrs, and the fighters who put their
life at stake that their sacrifices would not go futile,"
The have warned to launch protests to oppose the pact.
"We will go to the people to show our discontent," Vaidya
Vaidya had earlieer attacked Prime Minister Baburam
Bhattarai for signing the Bilateral Investment Promotion and
Protection Agreement (BIPPA) with New Delhi during his
four-day India visit last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future