Nepal`s opposition to launch agitation to topple govt
Kathmandu: Nepali Congress on Sunday threatened to launch a major agitation to oust the Baburam Bhattarai-led government, rejecting Maoist chief Prachanda`s proposal to transform the incumbent administration into a consensus govt.
Nepali Congress leaders today held a meeting with the other opposition party CPN-UML to decide their future course of action to resolve the current political stalemate.
"Nepali Congress will launch joint agitation with the backing of other political parties including the CPN-UML to remove Prime Minister Bhattarai if the Maoist party does not cooperate with forming a national government to resolve the current political stalemate," Nepali Congress vice president Ramchandra Poudyal said.
Maoist chief Prachanda had recently proposed to transform the incumbent government into a national consensus government to hold fresh elections if an agreement is not forged among the political parties on reinstatement of the Constituent Assembly to promulgate the Constitution.
Nepal`s major political parties are sparring over the issue resulting in a constitutional deadlock.
The Nepali Congress said it will organise a grand protest rally in Kathmandu on November 9 to demand Bhattarrai`s removal.
"It is the turn for the Nepali Congress to lead the national government as both UCPN-Maoist and CPN-UML had already led various governments after 2008 Constituent Assembly polls," Poudyal said.
He said the Maoists were not honest in their commitments and their intention was "suspicious".
Prachanda recently held talks with President Rambaran Yadav and top political leaders of major parties in a bid to diffuse the political crisis and proposed that the CA polls be conducted under the Bhattarai-led government itself.
However, Poudyal said that the incumbent government had failed to forge consensus among political parties and it must step down to pave way for forming a national government.
Nepal has been facing a prolonged political and constitutional deadlock after the CA was dissolved on May 27 without a constitution being promulgated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi